Managed services are the key to keeping your customer happy as a reseller. Let’s take the easiest service to provide and discuss some of the benefits, both obvious and less obvious as selling points when you approach your customers.
Online Backup Service
The quickest and easiest managed service to provide your customers is Online Backup Service. You can lower a company’s backup Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) by moving their backups online. Here is a laundry list of selling points I use to convince my clients of what I already know; online backup is the way to go.
Benefits of Online Backup
- True Disaster-Proofing – Traditional backups are done onsite and are susceptible to the same disasters that require a backup in the first place. A catastrophic event at the office such as fire or flood will wipe away backups along with the original data. Cloud backup provides offsite storage as a first line of defense.
- Cost Savings – Total Cost of Ownership of an online backup solution is generally lower. Without the outlay of new backup media, software licensing and maintenance fees, the monthly charges for an online backup service remain a consistent and stable charge for the organization
- Versioning – Most online backup providers offer different retention policies that allow you to keep multiple versions of your files. With traditional backup methods, once a corrupted file has been backed up, the uncorrupted version may be gone forever.
- Restore From Anywhere to Anywhere – With traditional backup, you have to be onsite to load the correct media, unless your company is large enough to have a library system. With online backup, one file can be restored by the user, from any location in the world.
- Lower Administrative Costs – Most traditional backups require some intervention by a user, whether it is swapping tapes or carrying media offsite in a rotation. Intervention takes time and that adds an additional level of cost to the backup procedure. By storing data offsite in the first place, these costs are eliminated.
- Monitoring – Online backup is easily monitored. As a reseller, you may choose to receive the notification emails and only work with your client when there are failures. This opens another line of communication to the client and the client will benefit from the proactive nature of the monitoring.
Let’s start the new year off right with your customers by moving to a managed services model. Will a little work, the next backup solution you install may carry your favorite brand name. Yours.